Sunday 9 July 2017

July 1st - Anniversary!

Displaying P_20160618_184824.jpg
My Life in a hamock

Seven years ago July 1st we left Toronto,  sailed down the St. Lawrence and out to sea.   I still constantly marvel at how inexperienced and ignorant I was, still am and note that perhaps I might not have taken on this adventure if I had known more.  Nah, I still would have gone.

Our anniversary this year was celebrated in Croatia.  We arrived ,from a 24 hour overnight sail from Italy, entering the small island of Lastavo late morning.  Beautiful sunny day and anchored easily in the peaceful bay, July 1st.  

Again, as I so often do, think of all the places, people and adventures I've had in such a short time and how lucky I am.

But I also think of all the things I could be doing, helping? and sometimes, sitting on my sailboat typing, swimming, enjoying  life and feeling truly blessed, seems well self indulgent. 

Traditional wisdom says that humans need to feel their lives matter to thrive, we need to feel necessary, I sometimes think  "how does my sailboat life matter in the big scheme of things"? In my little world.. 

For today this is where I will start, because starting is the first step and continuing what you began and keeping true to the outcome is the most difficult, for me.
  A catch phrase  I've heard is "do no harm"  so yesterday and all the days following I'll limit the harm I do by reducing my paper towel usage (I love paper towels), using no chemicals, provide supportive behaviour (as best I can) and speaking kindly, oh and I'll pick up trash when I see it.

Small things make a difference don't they?  If each of us does the small good things and think of first doing 'no harm', how would that be?

Maggie

Displaying IMG_8269.JPG
Me in a  cherry tree


No comments: