Friday 24 June 2011

It Was Quite a Night!

After talking with Herb,the weather guru that I have mentioned before, we did as he suggested and headed northeast to cross the approaching cold front. He said we could expect 25kt winds. We got 40 - with foaming seas! I was broad reaching with a tiny scrap of jib out and triple reefed main out on a preventer when the wind suddenly increased and tripped the Cape Horn, our wind pilot, and the boom crash gybed. Thank goodness for the stretchy nylon preventer because there was no damage to the rig and we ended up hove-to, which is how we stayed for the duration.

It was our first time in winds like that and I can tell you it was scary not knowing if it was going to get worse, listening to the howling wind increasing in intensity, and looking around at the building seas and foam blowing off the waves. It made me truly feel like the tiny speck that we are out here in this vast ocean.

The boat fortunately took care of us and herself. The crew were all brave and we actually had fun after a while listening to the howling wind and telling stories to pass the time.

During the day, while we waited for the seas to mellow and the wind to turn, I had to disassemble the wind turbine because the fishing line got caught up in it - big job, don't ask. Most of my time is spent sleeping, reading, looking for things that need fixing and fixing.

Anne Maggie, Sophie and I are having a grand time despite the occasional screw ups and terrifying moments.

We are now motoring north to get above a high pressure ridge that will carry us westward.

3 comments:

gerrigirl said...

Seems my good joojoo vibes aren't reaching you.

Johnzo said...

I don't have a clue what you were saying in that first paragraph, but the essence that I understood is the reason why I'm a landlubber!! Take care and be safe!!

Mon said...

Foaming Seas = Why I Prefer Land.
Safe journey and hope to see you in Espana!