Monday 1 November 2010

A Year Ago Today

I woke up this morning and asked Maggie what we were doing exactly one year ago.  We were not sure, but we figured that we were probably getting ready to or already covering the boat with shrink-wrap plastic.  We had not had any snow by that point, so it was a matter of getting ready for the big chill.  We were probably trying to get the Webasto furnace working, so that we could heat the boat and have hot water for washing the dishes.  That was a big job, and I thought I would never get it working.

One year later,  the furnace has worked without a hitch (I shouldn't have said that because I just jinxed myself), and there is no winter in sight.  In fact, I am sitting in a rocking chair at the nearby marina, having an ice cold beer that cost me $1.61, and wondering whether or not I am going to get a sunburn if I don't move into the shade.  I decided to take a chance on the sunburn as a tribute all our friends in the frigid north ... and I will have another beer.

The last couple of weeks have been a pleasant change in routine for us.  After racing south from Nova Scotia, we have moved far less and spent more time in one spot relaxing and doing some small maintenance jobs on the boat.  That will change shortly once we meet up with our boat buddies tomorrow.  Then we will continue to work our way south to the Keys, but at a leisurely pace.

Well, I did not have much to say because nothing much has happened, but November 1st seemed like an auspicious date to report.  So, I will leave you with this thought:  no matter what is going on where you are, the sun is shining - somewhere.

Branko

2 comments:

david said...

Well I can tell you that this past weekend EYC pulled out the boats weekend as it was snowing on sunday!!

15 liveboards(boats) this yr!

Luis said...

Only 1 thing wrong with you drinking the beer. I could have brought peanuts and had one with you, in my dreams :-) Luis