Thursday 28 October 2010

I'm Back.

It has been awhile since I've had the time to write, duh who am I kidding,  it's fairly hard when you have paws.   Now, I am sure you have all noticed that immediately after my  last blog my name and a blurb magically appeared - ah the power of the  pen!
First mate - serious look


We've been doing alot of sailing and making good time down the east coast.  We left Brooklyn in Nova Scotia (a lovely little town with huge walnut trees, well kept homes and big snowball bushes that have a pinkish tone; wonderfully, kind and generous people live there too) on a two day trip to Provincetown,  which turned  out to be to Yarmouth due to weather conditions.   Once leaving Brooklyn the seas were confused but comfortable,  the  evening was beautiful with a full moon and clear visibility.   We went up on deck in the early morning and found dolphins playing in our bow waves - that was special.  A little too big for me,  but generally I don't eat fish, so they were safe.
Leaving New Bedford


Yarmouth to Cape Cod was a two day and night run, that unfortunately made Maggie ill,  so she needed the seasick meds and all was fine again - fairly lumpy seas,  and generally we spent whatever time lying around, as walking or standing was a little difficult.  I enjoyed myself because now M and B were up during the night - how wonderful for me as that is my most active 10 minutes of my 24 hour day.  I learned to hop about along the dash and the pilot house stairs and assisted on the nav table by plunking myself down, so that whoever was on watch could not see the chart plotter (breathe here) and in turn must pat and pay attention to me - smart eh?

All in all a good experience because we ended up sailing  in more than our fair share of lumpy seas mainly at night.   I became a great first mate,  if I do say so myself,  and I do.  The sailing is fine with me as we are usually on a broad reach (Branko is lovely that way and tries to get the winds just right.) The thing I am not so fond of is the engine,  it takes me a little time to get used to it each time it goes on - otherwise all is well.

Reboot

We sailed down to Groton, and had semi-views of the U.S. nuclear subs - that was because they are housed in the seaway, but  behind large floating barges.   We were close enough to the U.S. base to hear maneuvers,  at first I was a little frightened with the  loudspeakers going off saying "CODE YELLOW, CODE YELLOW"  and then a volley of machine gun fire following,  but hey you get used to it.   The U.S only own nuclear subs and the cost to refill them is such that once used up,  it is more cost effective to build another sub instead.

Lounging on deck
Back to me.  I enjoy a nice romp off the boat when we are docked,  of course I am not supposed to leave so must make my escape when no one is watching.   Generally I just hang about on the dock until I am noticed missing at which time I take a flying leap back on to the boat -  thank goodness for my upper body strength as I am usually hanging from the toe rail and must pull myself up.   I don't like to look at M's face while doing this as she usually has her hands in front of her face and crying OMG, OMG....so far all has ended up OK.



For the last two weeks Branko and I have been sailing the boat together,   and personally I think we have made a good pair - he has voiced the same opinion but out of ear shot of M.  Maggie was back in TO getting a few things  done and visiting with family/friends.  She did miss a few people who are very dear to her and says thank goodness for email - whatever that is?

Oriental, NC
Today and for the last few days we have been in Oriental North Carolina.   An interesting place,  advertised as the  "sailing capital of North Carolina" - so we decided to visit.   A number of sailboats make their home here,  plus its right on the ICW route so lots of visitors come by.    B and M took a walk around town and noticed the lack of people, children and bustle generally found in towns.   A beautiful place complete with a well thought out playground for children (included tennis and badminton courts) but missing the children.   The grass and area around the playground was in perfect condition - which led M to think of  the saying "you  never seen grass in the playground" - because it is used so much.   Discovered that there are about 4-7 children who live in Oriental and the town is made up of mostly retired sailors - who are getting a little older each day.   All in all  a different kind of place.  But one  worth visiting.

B and M have spent a few days fixing things and will leave tomorrow for Beaufort NC -  hopefully meeting up with HOBOII and Reboot to continue down the coast to Florida.   Yahoo more night sailing!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that was a great story little pussy cat. MEOW

Laurel and Glen said...

Hey Sis and Brother-in-law!

We miss you guys! What an amazing journey and incredible pictures! I am sorry I didn't see you when you were here Maggie! Next time! We think of you often.

Love, Laurel and Glen

Anonymous said...

Felines make the best writers, and sailors.

Signed,
Batman

Kathy K said...

Thanks for the update Sophie. I especially liked the part about your upper body strength. Thanks for sparing the dolphins.
Kathy