Friday 15 June 2012

A Slice of Life – Sicilian Style


We have been living in Europe for almost a year and I still haven't mastered the loose change. The Euro centimos, denominated in 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 centimos as well as 1 and 2 euro coins resemble each other so much that it is difficult for me without my reading glasses to tell apart the 1's, 2's and 5's; the 10's, 20's and 50's; and the 1 and 2 euro coins. As a result, rather than bother fumbling with the change, we collect it into a huge pile on the boat and keep breaking bills, which, thankfully, are easy to tell apart. After a while, though, I grit my teeth and embark on a mission to spend the change the next time we have to go shopping.

Today was the day to do that here in Empedocle, Sicily. So, armed with a small Ziploc bag crammed with coins, Maggie and I ventured into town to buy stuff. We went to the Carrefour and bought a couple of excellent bottles of red wine (which we are sipping as I write this and the sun sets) and some apples for 4.35 euros. At the check out, I had in hand my wallet with the bills I was hoping not to break and my baggie full of change. The lovely cashier-lady looked at my baggie and said something in Italian which I gathered was to question if I wanted to use the change. With that said, I gave her the bag and she proceeded to count out the change. There were only a few euro coins and mostly 1,2, 5, and 10 centimo copper coins because we had been on a spending spree with the larger coins earlier in the day.

When she began counting, nobody was in line behind us but soon a queue grew and there was a tiny bit of grumbling. The cashier-lady smiled and waved them off. Then she lost count and had to start over, still smiling. I stood there sheepishly self-conscious (in our typically polite, apologetic Canadian manner) that I was wasting everybody's time and was about to break down and offer to break a bill when she finished, looked up and asked me something which I took to mean “you don't have enough for the bill; do you have any more change?” I shrugged my non-comprehension and people in the line started asking which language I spoke. I replied, “English, Croatian, and a little Spanish” and got no intelligible response. A man asked if I spoke German. So I handed her a fiver and the lady took it and a bunch of change and gave me a couple of shiny euro coins. Mission accomplished: the pile of change had shrunk and my pants were no longer being dragged down with metal as I lurched down the street like the Ghost of Christmas Past.

We have been away from Canada for a while now, so maybe I am forgetting how things are done there, but I am pretty sure I couldn't go anywhere and hand someone a bag of coins to pay for my groceries nor anything else.

We also visited Greek ruins in the Valley of the Temples near Agrigento and they were marvellous. Try doing that in Canada, too.

Branko

P.S. I apologize for sounding like I am being harsh on Canada. I am not – really – I'm just saying is all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.