Friday 2 March 2012

Update, life in southern Spain.

After a few years of limited availability and motivation to run,  I have gotten the 'bug' again.   Thanks to my friends Conchi and Lidia - who have encouraged me, included me in their running group 'Murgiverde'  and entered me in every race going :-)  First race was Adra, which Branko told you about and two weeks later - Ohanes, a  white town in the mountains.


View of  Ohanes from the road


Street in Ohanes

Murgiverde runners


Joanne and Jose (Lidia's brother}

View from Ohanes


Ohanes

Joanne, winning first prize, again.
 I trained with Lidia by doing long distance runs (Conchi was in  Madrid, so missed out) and strength training - which did little for the 10K Ohanes race.  The first 4K was uphill,  every time you reached the top of one hill you thought ' good, its over' until you turned the corner and ugh, more steep hill...and so it went for 4K.  We ran to a small town called Tices, which sits on a hill overlooking a beautiful valley full of almond trees, in bloom - pink, fragrant flowers - both pleasing to smell and see.   The last 400 meters to Tices was a steep climb - just to make sure you knew you were alive.   The bonus of this race was that there was 4K, totally downhill - so where you lost time on your uphill you got it back on the down.  Unfortunately for Lidia and I,  we were last, with 3 young boys on bikes zigzagging behind us trying not to run us over and trying to keep themselves amused; behind them was the emergency vehicle.  We felt special! So much attention for being last, almost as good as being first - except that the only people at the finish line were Branko and Lidia's dad.   Not the same kind of welcome, but wonderful none the less.   I did not win a prize this time,  even though I was the oldest woman running, but I did get a sandwich and a wonderful shirt.  The run, shirt, views and a sandwich only 5 Euros :-)  What a fantastic deal!

Mag

No comments: