Thursday 26 May 2011

Report from the Ships Cat

Ahoy me Mateys.
I have enjoyed living on the dock these last weeks. Everything was comfortable, steady and very hot (for someone who wears a fur coat all the time, it was at times unbearable.) The only thing I might have changed was my unexpected swim - thank goodness for my claws, upper body strength and Branko. I really did not want to let go of the piling.
It's been only recently that I started back to my early evening walk and lounge on the deck.
enough already with the cat pics....

But as all things must change, the engine turned on and off we went.
I am not fond of the engine noise, especially when complemented by pitching and heaving seas. The weather was good to us- overnight the wind was steady and had us close to the port side pilings - as we were ready to cast off the wind died completely allowing us a smooth departure from our slip.
We were taking advantage of the ebb tide, but as you all know sometimes the tide is not so exact. Not only did I have to contend with that engine but then went head first into standing waves,needless to say I was not happy and made it known. I have been prone, these last few sails to leaving a mess down below, so I was made to sit in the cockpit with Branko and Maggie. I had a new harness and was tethered. A good thing since i pooped, alot, on the cockpit seats. Me, I did not like it at all, not sure how the family felt but likely the same. Eventually, I just fell asleep and continued to sleep for the next day.
We are now into our 4th day on the Atlantic. The first day out, cloudy but flat seas with a light wind, we rode north with a south east wind and tried to make as much east as possible. When we hit the gulf stream we picked up 2-3 knots sending us north. Lots of chatter on the radio from fishermen. They sit on the edge and/or in the gulf stream and look for trails of weeds, which generally provides good fishing.
This is our 3rd crossing of the gulf stream, and can now say all crossings went fine with reasonable sea state. Our luck is that each time we cross, we are close enough to enter the steam thereby find the best weather windows for the journey.
Surprisingly we have seen little in the way of life out here (so far.) A few dolphins ,a couple of jets and one sailboat going the opposite direction. We did watch three birds, white bodies, with black patches and long skinny tails -play with the boat. They swooped down around the mast chattering to each other, sounding like a creaky door - very nice sound. Beautiful birds.
On our second day we picked up the energy to do a headsail change from the yankee to the genoa and also rigged and sailed the gennaker for a few hours. Hard work.
Laundry on the Atlantic

 The third day we did laundry(I know,already?) Branko rigged up a washing bucket made from a large square pail with a lid, strapped to the bulkhead, by the cockpit stairs - out of the way. We fill it with 1/4 fresh water and detergent, drop the clothes in, and wait for the boat to start moving (our agitator cycle.)
The first three days, the sailing was calm with very little wind, but we made good time considering - and the journey has been pleasant. Today, the fourth day the wind has picked up and we have a furled in genoa, staysail up and reefed main and still going over 7 knots - big difference.
We are still figuring out the best watches. Generally, we all stay awake during the day. At 3:30-4:00 we talk to Herb , after pulling up a grib file for weather. We review and start reducing sail, having dinner and figure our next move. I have been quite good (knock on wood) at night and snuggle up to whoever is sleeping. I crawl up on to the berth, put my head on the pillow and then plop down so that I am curled up against the sleeper - very comfortable and soothing for me.
We likely have another 5 or so days left to arrive Bermuda. Will be happy to be anchored yet again, especially with our new anchor.

Till later, the ships cat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Fatty Red-Belly,

It really isn't so bad with a halter and tether...you get used to it, and it is much safer for us.

Keep you butt clean,
xo
Salty

Anonymous said...

Hey There seafarers,

I ran into Don Henderson and told him about your blog site. He is checking in from time to time to see your progress.

We are are jealous.

Take care, Eddie Blair

Kevin said...

Branko! Wonderful to follow your track across the Atlantic to Bermuda. As it turns out Kevin and I will be in Bermuda from Jun 2-6 and would love to meet up with you. Is your gmail the best way to get in touch?
Cheers,
Reed

Ballon said...

Branko! Wonderful to follow your track across the Atlantic to Bermuda. As it turns out Kevin and I will be in Bermuda from Jun 2-6 and would love to meet up with you. Is your gmail the best way to get in touch?
Cheers,
Reed

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys! I just checked you track and you probably only have about 75 miles to go...YAY!!! Hope you had a good trip
Gerri