Friday 4 March 2011

First Kill!

Lobsters everywhere are no longer safe.  A few days ago I went snorkeling with Gerry from FREE SPIRIT and Alan from CIVIL TWILIGHT to hunt the elusive lobster.  We were going to check out a couple of the boys' favorite hunting grounds, which I would only be able to reveal under penalty of death, for, you see, the location of hunting grounds are a closely guarded secret, much like the access code to nuclear weapons would be.

I have been trying to make my first kill for some time now and it got to the point where Gerry and Alan were joking that they might have to catch one for me and hold it up by its antennae in order for me to take the shot.  So there was a lot riding on this expedition -  my pride and their patience.

The first opportunity came as we were diving on a reef.  Alan spotted a nice lobster sitting in a hole, wide open to an easy shot from above.  Later, Alan said "It doesn't get much easier than that".  I carefully positioned myself and tensioned the surgical tubing that launches the pole spear.  I took careful aim, released the spear and watched in horror as the point glanced off the lobster's head and he backed up deeper into the hole and out of sight.  I noticed the look of disbelief registered on Al's face - even underwater with a mask on and breathing through a snorkel.  I had failed to apply enough tension on the pole spear, a mistake I would not make again.  Lobsters:1; Me:0.

That one never got away, though, because the boys quickly teamed up with Gerry rousting the lobster out of his hiding spot and Alan applying the coup de grace.  It was a scene played out since the days when early man was just making his way out of the trees, and it was hilarious.

We never saw another lobster there and Gerry was determined to get one, so he went over to another site that he knew of which is also Top Secret.  I was feeling cold and dejected, so I almost didn't go but changed my mind - I wasn't going to give up that easily.  Gerry kindly offered me the opportunity to search the easy spot.  It was a shipwreck that formed a ledge around the hull on the outside that was the easy spot.  Inside the hull was a tangle of metal and that was where Gerry got a couple.  As for me, I cruised the ledge in a shark-like manner, all slow and with deadly purpose, when I spotted one curled up having a snooze under the ledge.  As I took a deep breath, I tensioned the pole spear to the breaking point and moved in for the kill.  I don't know if the lobster sensed eternity looming, but I saw his antenna twitch.  Whether it was a lobster dream or a primal response to impending doom, we will never know because I released the spear and it boiled the water on its fateful way to its appointment with the lobster's head.  Me:1; Lobsters:1.

Like Poseidon, I broke the surface spear in hand with the lobster in its final death throes impaled on it.  I was taking it back to the dinghy where Al was waiting (he had already caught two).  In a scene reminiscent of a lion cub bringing home his first antelope, I handed my prey up to Al who ceremoniously removed it from the spear and dumped it in the bucket.  He may not admit it, but I am pretty sure he had a tear in his eye.

Novice no more; I am now an apprentice.  And we will be having lobster pizza when Elsie and Kathy come to visit.

Get in my belly!
Branko

1 comment:

Kathy K said...

I'm happy to say I had the privilege of partaking in the above-mentioned lobster pizza, and it was delicious, along with the other three pizzas that Branko made from scratch for Elsie's and my first night with the sailors. More to follow in our blog of our fantastic week with M&B.