Thursday 16 September 2010

Birthday Nose Job

Every year, on my birthday I read the Globe and Mail,  and the Toronto Star's 'if today is your birthday' section of the horoscopes.
Last year,  as I moved on to the boat,  left my job and became a full time boat builder with Branko - my horoscope stated that next year at this time,   I would be surprised with where I would be.   I laughed at this,   thinking no way could I be surprised,  since I could be anywhere.

Well I was surprised.

Sunday September 12th  I was standing beside a flogging jib sheet.  it hit me in the face with a force that broke my nose in two places.  I quickly submerged my face in the freezer,  using a semi-frozen pork loin to  stop the pain - I soon moved to frozen vegetables as they were more pliable and did not leak meat juice down my face.

I thought it was just a bruise,  but when Branko looked, my nose was now S shaped.  Off to Emergency - thank goodness for Margaret, and Ken's truck - nothing could be done in emergency,  nor the next day at the clinic with the plastic surgeon -  however Tuesday September 14th, my birthday, saw me suiting up for surgery -the gown, the fasting, the cardiogram (say what??) and the requisite waiting period.

All was good though,  the plastic surgeon began our first conversation with "let me look at your sna-az"  and well,  I was hooked - he was great cause I got to put my clothes back on, got my nose frozen (hurt like heck) and then he casually "re-set" my nose back to its original straight beak.

You should see the other guy....


Voila,  I got a nose job for my birthday.  And yes, Branko is taking credit for the "job" as a birthday gift...

Maggie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you,
Happy Birthday to you,
Your nose is all banged up,
Drip-ping with meat juice...

Anonymous said...

OUCH! Maggie

Wonder what it will be next year?

Liz (and Chris)

Anonymous said...

Only one week later and you look Mahvelous dahling!!
Thanks for a fatastic day today. We'll miss you guys.
We hope the time until we see you again will be short.
Ken, Margaret, Amy, Ian, Colleen and Michael
MUAH!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post card, Maggie. I'm loving following your trip! Vicarious sailing is the best.
Love, Cathy